Sunday 15 January 2012

CNR pre-1954 Baggage Car

Lots of head end business today at White River Junction as the CPR NB train is about to depart and  a CNR baggage car is awaiting pickup on the White River Division.

 One more for the road

Over the holidays I tackled a few of my easier projects. Seems in little less than a week I had added four more cars to the White River Division fleet. None of the projects really taxed my abilities but were fun to do.

The first project was my Rapido CNR baggage car which I had taken apart in early December. I did not really need another baggage car but I could not turn down a great deal and I loved how my other two turned out. The procedure was the same as from the post of December 14th...my other baggage cars. Roof, ends and underframe are painted Floquil grimy black. The interior floor was painted were one can see inside and mostly Juneco parts are added to the interior. Some chalk weathering is added.

The floor is painted at the door opening and various Juneco metal details have been added.

Tip of the Day...
Here is the tip of the day, called "cleaning up my mess". I do not mask my cars when I paint the underframe and ends most of the time. I have a good airbrush that I can set up to spray very little paint for this particular type of job. Since the ends and underframe are already black very little paint is applied anyway. I just dirty them up a little with Floquil grimy black. When I angle the car and spray the paint I always take into account the over spray and usually do not get any on the car but on occasion as with the CNR baggage car I did get some black on the car sides under one of the baggage car doors plus I got a bit of a black finger print near the cars corner.

I use Floquil paint for most of my modelling projects. Floquil does not sell large containers of their brand thinner anymore which I used to reduce my paints. I now substitute lacquer thinner for the job. For cleaning up the messes that I on occasion make I sill use Floquil thinner-brush cleaner (270-110001 in one ounce jar) and once called Dio-Sol on a Q-tip. I normally only add enough thinner to dampen the Q-tip. I do not have to clean up the mess right away. I finish my painting and clean the spray gun first. The over spray will come off easy even in 30 minutes to an hour later. I have tried straight lacquer thinner but it has affected the plastic and painted surfaces. I also use the same process for cleaning up any over spray that may get under my masking jobs when there is multi-colours involved. If you use Floquil paints...you might want to keep your eyes open and pick up a jar of Floquil thinner.

The car is finished and is awaiting the roof to be applied.

A look through the baggage car doors.

This photo was taken with my new Olympus Tough waterproof, shock proof and freeze proof camera my kids gave me for my birthday last month. It is Olympus last 14mp $120 version that is smaller in size than a pack of cigarettes. Olympus has recently released a new Tough that has many upgraded for three times the price of mine.  For this photo I just set my camera on the yard trackage and took a picture with the auto setting but flash off...amazing what these little cameras can do. Forgot to mention that it takes pictures underwater to the depth of nine feet...just in case the basement floods.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! I want one of these in S scale to use on mixed trains servicing Port Rowan.
    http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/

    ReplyDelete