Thursday, 7 September 2017

Imagine That - DV Ross Kit

My new mill complex annex is just about done. The rear wall needs to be attached now that I have the windows in place with glazing and blinds. The vent is not used and I decided to change out the chimney with the smaller version included in the roof detailing kit.
You had a look at this kit in What's in the box No. 25 of Aug. 5, 2017. This is a neat little building flat that does not actually look like a flat, offered by ITLA or Imagine That. I began by test fitting all the windows and walls, sanding as needed. Assembly actually went together really well. I glued the front and two side walls together adding all the trim as required in the instructions. I left the rear wall unglued till all the windows, glaze and blinds are added. I did set the rear wall in just to keep things square. The steps, windows, doors,  stone lower section, sidewalk, chimney top and blower are all brush painted Floquil concrete. The lower stone section once painted got a wash of India ink followed by some PanPastels in the gray and white tones. The interior walls are all painted acrylic black so there will not be anything seen inside.

As one can see I have glued and squared up the building flat using Canopy cement. The windows stack, sign and base are seen in this view. I exclusively use Canopy cement on my wooden structures.

All the corner trim is included on additional sheeting that is glued in place. the DV Ross will be covered up.
The walls got a coat of acrylic Deco Art dollar store paint which is a mix of deep red, cinnamon brown and a small dab of black. I thinned this colouring with a really wet brush as I applied the paint. The colour is more of a wash. The roof is painted acrylic black then tar-paper lines are added using a lead pencil followed by some gloss on the repaired joints. The handrails are acrylic graphite. Once dry, the chimney and walls got a dab of Roberts brick mortar formula. On the chimney I used PanPastel brown followed by light gray. I did the chimney first to see how the colours worked. I then used the same shades on the walls with the addition of some PanPastel white and Bragdon powder soot. I actually changed out the kit chimney with a shorter version found in the Imagine That roof detailing kit. I did not use the roof vent.

Everything is now glued together with painting and weathering beginning shortly.

Some of the colours I used are seen here. All from the dollar store. I used a brush for all my painting. As one can see I first painted the roof a graphite colour but it was too light so black was then applied. I nomrally do my painting as a wash using powders and PanPastels to add the extra colouring.
The plywood boarded up window was done by reversing the laser cut out into the opening. I used a pin and pocked some nail holes were the sheet would be attached followed by some knots as are seen in plywood. The pin holes got a bit of lead pencil. I then used some PanPastel colours red iron oxide extra dark and neutral gray rubbed in with my fingers, not a lot just a bit to highlight. I then made a few passes over the plywood sheeting with 220 grit sandpaper to take some of the weathering off and adding grain.

The roof is almost complete. A shorter stack is applied and two roof vent will be applied shortly. I added some tar paper seams with gloss coat.
 Window glaze is added that had dulcote applied. The shades are brown paper bags cut to size. The signs are from my collection of photocopies. I added the skid included in the kit, plus some newspapers from FOS Scale kits. A Juneco garbage can is also added next to the steps.

Since my model is going to be part of a new wooden milling complex at Bellows Crossing my signs for the original structure is applied over the DV Ross lettering. I added some wood trim around the sign to box it in and hide the edges.

When I was finished with the structure I though some extra detail was required. Actually after taking the first group of finished model photos I thought it was still too plain. I added two stacks to the roof made from styrene spur material. I then added two electrical stacks on the front of the building. The wire is dipped in Blacken-it then weathered with Bragdon rusts....the captions cover the rest with a nice group of finished model photos to follow in the next post...George Dutka

Link to Imagine That ITLA Scale Models.

Imagine That Laser Art Scale Models Imagine That Laser Art Scale Models
Roberts mortar formula is applied to some of the walls area. I was really wondering how this was going to turn out as it was the first time using this product. Once the weathering began it all blended in nicely. I will be experimenting more with this product maybe applying it after the weathering with a very fine brush. India ink will be applied to the stonework shortly.
As you can see the end wall is partly weathered and the brick mortar mix is fading in. The mix is seen to the right of the photo. Some of the PanPastels used are seen in this photo. Everything done to this model was an experiment as I had not used these products on my wood kits in the past, although I have use many products that are similar on wood kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment