Friday 4 November 2011

Gong, Gon or Gondola!

Corrections in terminology...
Well I just got an e-mail from a CNR train dispatchers that I worked with over the years...who is reading my posts...he is now retired and a modeler plus a good friend. His question is what is a gong...kind of kidding around with me...sorry about the local RR term in the post names..most of the rolling stock and engines have terms that are used differently by each railroad and terminals...or by individual crews...things like cabooses are called van's here in London....train crews from Belleville are known as rubber booter's...and CN engine GR-17's are only known by number series and were called 4500's...most CN engine man that had worked on these engines all their life would not know they were GR-17's unless they had some interest in locomotives. Oh in London yardmen that work the local yard jobs are called yard snakes. Don't want to tell you what Dispatcher are called since I have one reading this and we had our own Bin Laden on the CNR in Southwestern Ontario at one point...a trainmaster we used to call Glenn Laden...So when I used slang such as gong or gon for gondolas I am still thinking work terms in London....sorry guys...I went back and corrected my last post.

Additional New London Station information...
One bit of information that I missed adding to my post in regards to the New London station is that it took 5 years to renovate the station after being purchased by the city...a major task...being completed in 1976...I added this fact to my original post.


CV Essex Jct. Vermont 
Can't end a post without adding a few photos....one of the last stops on my New England road trip was Essex Junction, Vermont. Another location I had not been to in many years.
The Essex Junction, Vermont duel use station is used for Amtrak trains and as a bus location. Oct. 2011


Train order bay window at Essex Jct. Oct 2011
Roadside view of Essex Jct. Oct 2011
The reason for the stop at Essex Junction was to visit a good friend, Central Vermont railfan Alan Irwin. Alan lives not far from the old CV line and can actually hear the trains when they go by. Arriving in town I made a quick stop at the station and took a few photos as seen here...on the way to Alan's home I noted the bridge right were I was turning into his subdivision has the lettering Central Vermont, Green Mountain Route visible through the paint. It was just starting to rain but I made a u-turn and went back to get a shot of the bridge. The last time I had been by the bridge the lettering was not visible...but years of weathering has made it become clearly visible Alan noted. Alan also mentioned that train photographing on this particular bridge is difficult due to the lighting angles most of the year.
ex-CV bridge at Essex Jct. Vermont Oct. 2011

Well that's it for tonight...promise to cover the B&M and Rutland Ry in my next post...George Dutka

No comments:

Post a Comment