Saturday 17 January 2015

Sylvan Scale Models - Rolling Stock Kits

If you look at the roof and under body you can see the warps that have to be corrected before proceeding with the assembly.
This post began with an e-mail from CVRHS Ambassador editor Stephen Horsley regarding a Sylvan Scale Model CPR boxcar kit. I am not sure why, but I never looked closely at Clare's rolling stock even though I have built many of his structures. I touched base with both Peter Mumby and Don Janes and surprisingly enough neither have built any Sylvan rolling stock kits either. I was over at Peter's for this weeks work session when we got on the topic of Sylvan kits once again. Peter being in the model railroad hobby business pulled out a box of Sylvan kits he had picked up and set aside over the years at shows. Mostly all CNR and CPR caboose. We opened some of the boxes to see what they looked like. As it turned out most of the boxes had warped under body, car sides and roofing. These kits are from decades ago. Peter gave me a CNR caboose to take home and see what I could come up with. Thinking the two of us might be building our first Sylvan kit shortly....and once again this kit falls into my modern era fleet....will see were this all leads...Oh by the way Sylvan is out of the rolling stock business these days...George Dutka

Unfortunately all main components are badly warped and will need some heavy bracing, gluing and clamping.
The CNR caboose kit includes a lot of really nice casting.






No comments:

Post a Comment