Tuesday, 23 June 2026

Rutland Ry Boxcar Roof

Rutland Ry. PS-1 Omaha Nebraska on Rock Island June 19 1957 David Hutchinson collection.

There has been a debate in the past about what color the Rutland Ry boxcar roof color are. I was surprised to see this view of a boxcar posted on Facebook a week or two ago. It shows the roof as an unpainted metal roof which would have a galvanized metal look. Thanks David for sharing...George Dutka 

Kip Grant's Rutland boxcar at a past RPM meet. He did his roof silver with a flat finish and alcohol and India ink applied. His photo appears to have a silver tone roof.
A past Wordless Wednesday post. I purchased this boxcar from Don Janes a few years back which was a Steam Shack offering which had a yellow roof. Maybe the 400 series had yellow roofs. 

The Kadee model #248 has a silver roof while the Intermountain model has a yellow roof. Which one is correct? I feel both maybe correct as it appears in some photos I have seen a hint of yellow. I see the yellow on the edges of some roof ribs and running boards that may indicate they were yellow. As modelers I would go with the photo you have.

2 comments:

  1. Hi George. Thinking that back when these forty foot cars were built that it was standard practice to paint the roofs. Given the galvanized coating on the roof panels, the paint would have probably flaked off fairly quickly. Leaving the galvanized roof panels bare is a more recent, 1980's practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting Keith...thanks...George.

    ReplyDelete