|The finished station rests on my workbench till I find a location to add it on the White River Division. The WRD is in the process of an upgrade.|
I used the Bartonsville station as my main inspiration to build this model. I did choose Petersburgh as the station's name since that Rutland's station has the same lines as Bartonsville and was located near the B&M main line, one of the lines I model. Both stations reflect the look of the Atlas model to some degree and makes a good starting point for a model. Check out my two posts on Bartonsville and Petersburgh for photos of the prototype.
I used the walls and roof braces from the kit. The corners are glued together with Walthers Goo and corner braces are added to the walls and bay window. The body of the station is painted Floquil depot buff followed by a coat of Floquil grime. I applied the second coat while buff was still wet. This wall colour is what I currently am using for any structures that reflect the Rutland Ry. The station had a phone booth location that I did not use. I filled the holes and painted over that location so it blends in with the rest of the wall.
|The walls are built up along with the new roof. The original Atlas roof is seen to the right of the concrete platform|
For the roof I used heavy card stock which was braced as seen in the photos. I used the Atlas roof for basic dimensions. The seams are filled with MMD white putty then spray painted with an auto spray bomb. The roof material was purchased from Minuteman Scale Models at the Model Railroad Expo last year. He had a box of seconds that he was selling. I picked up enough light coloured slate to finish a roof of at least this size. The shingles are easy to apply, but you must take care cutting and trimming the edges. The roof got a weathering of Bragdon powders.
Windows, Doors and Platform
The kit windows and doors are used. These I painted Floquil coach green. They did get a light coat of chalk weathering to dirty them up a bit before adding to the station. The window and doors got a plastic glaze added which was sprayed with flat finish so they looked dulled down a bit. I used a brown paper bag cut into lengths for window shades.
The platform on the Rutland Ry stations I used as inspiration are gravel and cinders. I decided to reuse the concrete base that came with the Atlas kit. It looks really nice and can be a good drop in base when I change a location around. The base was painted Floquil concrete then chalks and powders are rubbed into the cracks and grooves. The base looks great and I am glad I used it.
|The walls, windows, doors and concrete platform have all been painted and are now ready for a coating of Bragdon powders. The station roof has been spray painted black and will receive a slate roof.|
The station sign was made by photocopying an original photo of the stations side. I did not even have to reduce the print size. In later years the station sign was moved to the roof top. I liked the looks of the sign hanging under the roof line as through most of the stations life. Once I cut out the station signs I rubbed a lead pencil along the edges to get rid of the white cut marks.
The station train order board was not in use near the end of its life...at least the photos I see has no blades on the post. I kind of wanted an order board included on my model so I built one and located it in the position it was found on the Petersburgh station. I had made a Rutland order board some years ago and I just copied what I did then. I will cover order board construction in a later post.
I added a lot of Juneco details around the platform for a well used location. I also used mostly Juneco figures in this scene. In real life the Rutland station platform was pretty empty in later years. I really like the looks of something happening on the platform. Well now to find a new home for Petersburgh on the White River Division...George Dutka
|The model is pretty much done at this point. I just have to finish the roof and order board.|
|The shingles are being attached to the roof. I trim the ends and attach the cap after each side is finished.|
|A look at the rear wall of Petersburgh. The chimney is a cast metal casting from my parts box.|
|One of the ends are seen in this photo. The station sign is a copy of the original.|