Friday 18 January 2019

NEB&W

This farm scene found along the edge of the layout is what one typically finds in New England. I had viewed this scene a number of times in print but it was nice to get a close look in person at it.
I had been thinking about what the NEB&W members have planned and I am not sure that will be a reality. It is a huge layout located in a basement with standard size doors and 90 degree turns on the way up meaning anything hauled out has to be pretty small. Maybe 30" by at most 6'. The reality is it might have to be 4' long if crated. Looking at my photos of scenes such as the Red Rocks area that is close to floor to ceiling high, maybe 15' long and 2 to 2.5 feet wide, I have no idea how that could be moved. When built in the 1970's planning for movement was probably not on anyone's mind. It will be interesting to see what can be actually saved. I am looking forward to see how a new NEB&W will look. New can be good. Here are a few more views of the NEB&W from my visit in November which are now my memories of a great layout...George Dutka

One of the many street scenes in the Troy, NY portion of the layout.
Another newer scene of car repair shops area. Neat to see a model of repairs being made.
The NEB&W has many creameries and this was always one of my favourites.
The NEB&W contemporary fleet on display
I love the looks of the subsidiary railroads that the NEB&W model.

2 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up on your blog.Please pardon my neophyte question. After a LONG haitus away from MRR, Im working on getting back into it. Was looking at the hillside on your top picture. Those arent individual trees, and not "puffball" trees. Is that a different style of modeling to make it look like there are hundreds of trees there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Darron
    I believe John made these mainly from weeds shaped to look like trees then spray painted followed by ground foam. I use golden rod for my own backdrop trees which look similar. George

    ReplyDelete