Monday 8 July 2019

A Visit To Sarnia

A CN EB approaches Wanstead, Ont. on July 5, 2019. A small train of local Sarnia traffic headed to Mac Yard in Toronto.
On Friday I took a drive following the CN tracks to Sarnia to visit with Don Janes and check out how the tunnel derailment clean-up was going. I thought I might find the sidings full of trains, but not the case. The 40 plus car derailment in the tunnel has CN traffic rerouted several different ways. I did catch up with a CN EB at Wanstead on the way home with Sarnia local traffic in tow. Anyhow all the usual location to view the tunnel from walkways and roads are all blocked off with a lot of workers and security...so no chance for a photo.

Don has accomplished a lot on his layout since my last visit which I believe was in November. We spent some time talking about our next adventure and a clinic we are jointly doing this fall at Trainfest...George Dutka

I have a B&M plow exactly like this one that Don added additional details to. I took a few photos on his freezer with my phone for reference.
If you follow the videos on MR's site you will already know that the gang there are taking the Walthers State Line structure and converting it to something else. It is called the State Line Kitbash Challenge. Well Don has just built it also but no conversion. He has done a really nice job with it.
An overhead view of the Walthers kit.
Don ran some of his trains showing me his newer engine aquisitions. On this train is a very nicely weathered B&M 40' boxcar that Neil Schofield weathered for Don.
Approaching the home signal at Wantead, Ont. July 5, 2019.
CN EB stopped at the red signal Wanstead while conductor gets a 564 to pass a stop signal. There is a passing siding here. The Strathroy Sub. is single track.

No comments:

Post a Comment