Monday 14 August 2023

Brantford Model Railroad Club - Yard Sale and BBQ

The passenger station is a more modern affair that appears to be a kit bash or scratch build.
On Saturday I headed over to Brantford, Ontario to visit the Brantford Model Railroad Club. I had seen their layout a number of years ago on a layout tour with Peter Mumby. We both thought this club was doing a great job building a layout in a garage behind a home. The clubs I was told has about 20 members at any given time and host operating sessions a couple of times a month. The equipment used on the layout during operating sessions is what club members bring out on that particular day. So things can get interesting at times.

The yard sale was interesting as most of what I saw was vintage equipment, details and structures...many in their original boxes ready to be built. I did pick up a few items but held back as I have way too much already at home. The BBQ was good, I went for the sausage and timing was good as the first clinic was just beginning and a sit down was good while I ate. I don't recall the gentleman's name but he was covering how to better your rolling stock which was geared towards new to the hobby visitors, but was nice to listen to.  

On one wall a Ford assembly plant is seen with area were multi's can be loaded and switched.

The layout has some nice lighting to the structures in the town scene which was more on the modern theme. I liked the looks of the Tim Horton's that is a staple here in Canada. Also the VIA CN station looked interesting. It reminded me of the Windsor or Cornwall style of station. 

I went over to VIA station following my visit at the club to catch VIA 72. The station is partly blocked off as restoration work is ongoing. The local power was in a great location for photos with an interesting acquisition as seen in the photos...George Dutka

The gang checks out the items for sale. There was a nice crowd during my time there.

The two clinics were held under the red canopy.


If you modeling contemporary Canada Tim Hortons works well into the scene.

A nice little plaza in the town scene.

A fuel station is also in town which has some nice lighting included.

Along one wall there is a fair size yard. They have packed a lot into the garage.

I don't recall his name but he was showing the newer modelers how to upgrade rolling stock during his clinic.

An overall view of the yard activities on Saturday.

Down at the CN yard and behind the VIA station the local power is resting for the day. I had heard that there was a BNSF unit being used the last couple of months. 




1 comment: