Monday 20 April 2015

Ontario Narrow Gauge Show


On Saturday I headed up to Schomberg, Ont. for the 10th annual  Ontario narrow gauge show. I have never been to this show but being the 10th anniversary they were planning a good show. It was one of those things also on my bucket list to do that I can now check off. I was surprised how well the show ran and the amounts of exhibits. There was two floors of exhibits, models and vendors. I did bring along three of my own model displays to add to the show. Narrow gauge modelers are a different breed of modelers. Most either scratch build or convert models to their liking...nothing right out of the box onto the layout here. I was surprised at how many variations one can find of a Bachmann On30" model. For more on my visit to Schomberg, check out my Modeling Maine in Narrow Gauge blog later this week...George Dutka

This is a Bachmann On30 diesel engine converted to G scale narrow gauge. It is amazing that a G scale narrow gauge layout can be so small.
Here is my stash of goodies from the show. I got two SRCS kits at a great price. I have yet to try building one of these old releases from the past. Mt. Albert had a great deal on their lumber seconds and another vendor had free handouts of signs. The show organizers were well organized. For attendants that exhibited displays a name tags was awaiting at the door.
Schomberg is a neat little town which once had two feed mills...one is seen here. I actually spent some time before the show started walking through town taking photos of the various style buildings.
This is a view I took on the second floor of the show. The contest corner was located up here also. Both floors had a mix of vendors and displays.
A live steam model of the Huntsville Ry. was on display.
The narrow gauge railroad had a display also. Before this train was moved to Huntsville it ran for years near were I live in St. Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment