Friday 17 August 2018

Another Before and After - Coal Shed

My finished model is really weathered up.
I recently picked up this coal shed from the Bob Bowes collection. I think it is a Walthers model. Now to weather up the office and scales...George Dutka

How it looked before I began.
The colours I applied before powder and pastel weathering. At this point I had applied a wash of Anita's woodsy smoke to dull down the green and the lettering.
Canopy glue is used to attach the details. Scenic Express Flock&Turf is the greenery glued in place along the edges.
Once I was done I applied some fine coal PanPastel as a coating of coal dust on the whole structure.

Roof is painted with acrylic chalkboard paint black. The base is Anita's charcoal which is highlighted with PanPastel light grays.
Some signage is applied which is photocopy's of past projects. I also added some junk to the roof for additional interest.

6 comments:

  1. George, I think this is an extensive kitbash of the Atlas Valley Lumber kit. The interior upper floor and bracing has been removed, leaving the uprights, and it looks like the whole rear wall has been replaced with styrene clapboard siding, with five window castings added. Quite a job, and your weathering certainly enhances it. While there have been a few notable kitbashes of this kit, like the Art Curren one in MR in the 1980s, the potential of the Atlas Valley Lumber is largely unexplored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you John as I did not have any information about the structure...will look a bit further into it now...George

      Delete
  2. Exactly what I was thinking the moment I saw this... more interesting than the standard lumber yard and one I may use as a guide since I have this kit in my stash and prefer not to use basic plastic kits "as is" ... plus, I need a coal dealer on my Old Main Line... very nice job, before and especially after... Art Curren would be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim:
      I had to take another look at it today after Johns comments and clearly it has been altered. I guess that is why I could not put my finger on the kits source...would be interested in seeing how your version turns out...George

      Delete
  3. Looks great George, nice project.

    ReplyDelete