Friday 5 April 2013

Manitowaning, Ont.


Manitowaning waterfront as it looked during the summer of 2012.

My Wordless Wednesday No. 20 photo featured a water scene. I had a few comments on the scene so I thought I best give you a little more details about the location and a few more photos.

The photo was taken last summer when I was up on Manitoulin Island. I had been sailing on a fiends boat for a week in the North Channel. During my drive back to the ferry that would take me back to the mainland I came across this neat scene in the town of Manitowaning, Ont The boat is the SS Norisle which is the retired ferry that was the connection to the mainland and many of the ports along Georgian Bay from 1946 to 1974. Along with passengers it also carried freight between locations. Today it is on display.

The town has a few interesting historical building including the two seen in Wordless Wednesday no. 20. The town has a nice old lighthouse and church. All these structures are candidates for modeling. Although Manitowaning  is not a railroad location I feel it gives one inspiration for a nice waterfront scene...George Dutka


The Norisle in service.
The Burns Wharf structure is now used as the local  playhouse in season.
The lighthouse is found up on the ridge and is typical of many found in the North Channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment