Saturday 25 January 2014

Modeling the Inwood Flagstop

The flagstop is almost completed. I still need to attach the station sign and add the window and door glazing. I cut down the platform to fit the location it is designated for.
The Inwood flag stop is an easy four wall, three windows a door and roof kit. Most of the basic construction took only a couple of hours. I began by adding some nail holes and pulling a few boards up. The windows and doors need some assembly also. The window and door glazing got a coat of flat finish to dirty them up a bit. The corner trim fits really well. The wainscot trim looked to wide for this structure. I used it under the eaves as face boarding. The new wainscot was made from HO scale 2 by 4 inch stock.

Once all the parts are attached I gave the whole structure a coat of Hunterline weathering stain. Once dry, I painted the top walls Floquil depot buff with an added coat of grime while still wet. The lower section, trim, door and windows are painted Floquil tuscan red with a touch of signal red added. I did this all with a brush. Once dry I used Bragdon powder lime white on the top portion and dark rust on the red sections. I printed my photo that I took during the fall of 2012 of the flag stop. I used the sign from this photo on my model. The base was cut to fit it's new home. I used Hunterline stain on the base followed by a few tints of Bragdon powders. I will show you the finished model in place on the White River Division once I take some photos...cheers...George Dutka

Link to Creative Laser Desgin  http://www.creativelaserdesign.com/


The main portion of the flagstop is now complete. The roofing is printed slate on heavy card stock. It looks pretty good. I used Canopy Glue for all attachments in this project.

Dark Rust was used to weather the lower portion of the flag stop. The roof got a coat of soot powder...dirtying it up a bit.
This is how the flag stop shelter looked in Sept 2012.
I used a print made from this image for the sign. It turned out to be the exact size without any changes made. I just cut it out and glued it above the door.
The flag stop is awaiting its new home on the White River Division.

No comments:

Post a Comment