Tuesday 16 April 2019

CV Burlington, Vermont - Roundhouse

CV shop in Burlington, Vermont October 1953. John Gardner photo.
I received this photo from John Gardner decades ago viewing the Central Vermont roundhouse scene in Burlington, Vermont. John helped me with a lot of information regarding the Swanton, Vermont area while I was the editor of the Ambassador and shared this photo with me. I could not find any notes that goes with the photo other than the date, October 1953.

In this photo one views a nice compact  engine facilities tucked away in-between the main lines of the Central Vermont and Rutland Ry. and a high ridge. Note by the time this photograph was taken the turntable pit had been filled in and a switch installed to access the two bays of the roundhouse. I do recall seeing a similar scene on Dick Elwell's layout.  I can see this type of scene on a Central Vermont based layout even if one does not  follow the prototype 100 percent. I am thinking I might include such a scene on my layout as I really think this would make a great scene to model....George Dutka

2 comments:

  1. While I've never been to Dick Elwell's layout in person to ask him or take a close look, I have the impression that "filling in" the turntable pit was a clever dodge to use the Atlas turntable so it could move with the "filled in" pit. If not, the idea is there, anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John:
    Have to see if I took a photo of it...George

    ReplyDelete