Friday 5 April 2019

Styrofoam Mill - Building Flat

The finished Styrofoam building flat.
Back last fall I purchased this Styrofoam mill building flat already painted at a local flea market. I was not sure what I would do with it as the WRD does not need anything like this. As it turned out it was a nice quick project for me to practice painting and weathering techniques...and it sold quickly at the next show I attended...George Dutka

The finished mill has the door modeled open. The back wall is painted black and some details are added. Some ground foam and weeds are also added along the base. The wooden doors and deck are Floquil grime followed by PanPastel gray.
More details are stuffed between the brick portion and metal silo's.
This is how both sides would have looked when new. I forgot once again to take a photo before weathering the painted side of the structure.
The weathering began with a coat of dulcote. I then applied india ink over all surfaces. Roberts brick mortar mix is applied to the brick areas. Some PanPastels are applied to the bricks. The Purina sign is from a RailroadKITS model. Some additional signs are also applied.
The metal siding top structure was dry brushed with dollar store silver to lighten up that area. It was painted a dark rust. The windows are coloured using PanPastel green and a micro brush. The metal silos had some rust streaking already applied but stood out too much. This I toned down with India ink over a coat of dulcote giving the silos a dull chalky look. I further added to the effect with PanPastel light gray. Bragdon rust is added to the bolts on the plates down low and the spout.

No comments:

Post a Comment