This car does not fit my 1950's era modelling but I do enjoy the other era's. I have enough equipment to run at least one or two trains from the 1960's and 1970's. I don't plan to build much more for what I call the modern era (anything after 1960)...but I do like to dabble with these era's.
All my car needed to be finished was Kadee couplers and a set of trucks. Once added I gave the entire car a coat of Floquil flat finish. When it was almost dry I began with the Bragdon powders. The underside and trucks got some of the rust colours brushed on. I like the look of Light Rust on the couplers which needs very little. I then moved to the roof then the ends and finally the sides. On the roof I began with Dark Rust followed by Soot, Ash and Medium Rust. I blended it together using my wider brush. I used the same weathering powders on the ends but less of it. On the sides I began by streaking some Soot and Light Rust on followed with Ash over the lettering streaking it down below. I randomly added some Dark Rust. To get a better blend I used my finger to mix the powders together starting from the roof working down to the bottom of the car. This was done mainly over the lettering.
I think the car turned out great and it became a great working surface to play with my chalks...I think I will keep this one...George Dutka
|The CPR 60' boxcar spent many years sitting on top of my photo box before I got around to it.|
|The CPR International of Maine 60' boxcar is seen with couplers added but awaiting trucks and weathering. The prototype photo are handy for weathering and checking details.|
|The weathering is well under way. I tried all my weathering colours on this project and have found a few favourites.|
|CPR yard London, Ontario June 1989|
|CPR yard London, Ontario June 1989. The Canadian Pacific and International of Maine is starting to reappear through the paint.|