Borden's Elmer's Glue
Elmer's glue was invented in 1942 by Ashworth Stull, a Georgia Tech chemistry graduate. He sold his company to Borden's during the mid-1950's. During this time Borden's had excess milk cars on hand which became the base for the company's chemical car fleet. Borden's did introduced the first consumer white glue in 1947 under the trade name Cascorez Glue. Later on it was renamed Elmer's Glue-All. In 1951 Borden's company decided to use the name Elmer for its glues and chemical division, which would be the spouse of Borden's famed corporate symbol, Elsie the cow of its dairy division. At that point Borden's glue sales took off.
The Borden's Chemical Division plant in Bainbridge, NY was purchased in 1929 during a corporate buying spree. At the time it was called Casein Company of America, a small company which manufactured a cold water soluble water resistant adhesive from casein. Casein is a byproduct of skim milk.
Elmer's became an independently company around 1999. The company was acquired in 2003 by Brewind Corporation a investment firm.It was recently reported that Elmer's glue is the number one selling glue in America...George Dutka