Friday 16 November 2012

Priming Metal Castings

A group of my metal details and figures have just received a coat of Floquil SP lettering gray. I normally use Floquil Grime for this job. I did not realise I had ran out until just before spraying.

Coating metal details with Floquil Grime

I find that if I first base coat my metal casting and use washes of stains and paints the details do not get lost in the mix. I normally give all metal detail parts a light coat of Floquil Grime. I let these dry for at least a week before applying any other colouring. My details normally dry longer than that as I have a container full of parts waiting to be use. Many details can be stored for months or years before washes are applied.

Once dry, I then use washes (a mix of more thinner than paint) of the primary colours followed by a dusting of chalks and powders for highlights and shadows. In some cases I have got good results using Hunterline weathering stains as a light wash over the primed castings. When I am out of Grime, which just happened this past week, I substitute Floquil SP lettering gray for the base coat, which is my usual primer coating...George Dutka

Some of my primed casting have been weathered with chalk and weathering powders and will be loaded on my work flat.
Don Janes base coat option...  
 I thought I'd add another option to George's priming technique.   Many years ago when building my first Fine Scale Miniatures kit, the instructions suggested priming all of the metal castings in the kit with Floquil Earth or Foundation and letting it dry for several days until the paint was cured.  After they were completely dry you could paint them or stain them the desired colours.  One FSM technique I have used to this day is for weathering castings that are to represent wood such as barrels and crates.  Add a few drops of Floquil Grimy Black in a small jar of thinner (lacquer thinner or similar), mix thoroughly and apply as a wash to the "wooden" detail part in several light layers.  The black in the wash will run into the grooves of the wood which will define the individual boards and give the entire casting a weathered wood look. 

  Recently, depending on the detail part I am going to paint I have added a little Floquil Grime to the Earth to add a little gray but still maintain the natural wood colour that the Earth or Foundation will provide.  I find that Floquil paint is the best primer and will work well with whatever wash I choose...Don Janes.

No comments:

Post a Comment