Saturday 12 September 2015

NH RDC Unit - N Scale

The NH RDC unit is ready to roll while the Mikado needs some detail parts added. Most are included in a separate package, but with all used equipment there always are a few missing components. On this model the handrails need to be bent and a bell added. Both units are made by Kato
Peter and I plan on building a N scale module that can be fit together. We are looking at using foam for the base this time around. Neither of us have yet worked with this material. I picked up a Kato CNR Mikado as my freight power for my section of the line. Peter has a more contemporary fleet on the go...so things will be interesting. I recently picked up a Kato NH RDC unit which I could not resist...it is used but runs great. Both units will be used on my module set in the 1950's. The scene will be set so both CNR in Southwestern Ontario and the NH in Connecticut can be visualized. I did have a thought of repainting the RDC in CNR colours, but I really like the look of the NH on it...will see what happens this winter...George Dutka

The RDC needed the air horns, mail hook and roof vents added before it could go in service. Here we see it posed on the White River Division will all available parts applied. I also gave the trucks and vents a dusting of Bragdon powders.
The vents on the roof were missing in the parts package. I made these from HO Branchline passenger car leftovers. This unit has operating marker lights which I was surprised to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment