Sunday 20 November 2016

SuperTrees Adjustments

Don Janes is working away on his SuperTree with a soldering iron.
On my last visit to Don Janes he showed me what he was doing with his SuperTree's. To get them straight he is using a method he picked up from Marty McGuirk I believe. He uses a soldering iron which he touch's for a second on a curved area and bends it straight. The odd time it breaks but if you don't over bend, things work out well. Some trees need two or three touches with an iron in various spots to get the job done. I was going to hold off on this post till I get a few done of my own to show you before and after views but other chores are way ahead of this at the moment. I will show you how it worked later this winter. Guess I should have taken some more photos while Don was working on his...hind sight once again. In the mean time give it a try...George Dutka

5 comments:

  1. I too used this method as well following Marty's advice. It certainly seems odd, putting a soldering iron on a Super Trees branch. But I agree, it really does work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike...your right...I was really surprised to see Don do this and it actually works. I have a lot of bent trees that I can now put to use...cheers...George

      Delete
  2. I too have "soldered" many a bent Super Tree with considerable success. The odd one on which I was over zealous became bushes. I then followed up with Tony Koester's method of spray painting them with cheap gray primer and right afterwards a shot of Elmer's spray glue (Tony uses hair spray) for adhering the Noch leaves. A lot of trees can be produced outdoors on a sunny afternoon at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trick is to "dab" the iron in a couple of places along the bent part of the trunk while placing slight downward pressure on a firm surface - like Don is showing in the photo. At first it will seem like you're sawing every tree in half - but anyone should get the technique down pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Marty...I actually tried it yesterday as I needed a few trees for an area in Bellows Falls I am currently working on...I took a tree that was really bent (almost into a U)...all went well with the few I did...George

      Delete