Friday 24 April 2020

New England Novelty Works

An early view of Bellows Crossing and the New England Novelty Works.
New England Novelty Works is a industry from the past. I built that structure back in the 1980's. Only two sides are detailed. One end and back are just sheet styrene. I am planning a new structure for this location and I have had some interest in this old structure the last few years from a modeling friend from Toronto who visits me from time to time and usually leaves with a few purchased structures that are added to his layout. He is actually building a layout here in London with his brother in their family's home. His brother lives across the street making heading over to work on the layout easy. This month was to be the first time they were opening their layout...but London's layout tour is cancelled. I was hoping to stop by and see what they been up to and see how more than 20 of my structures have been used. They have been collecting them up for a few years now...George Dutka

Two walls are scribed wood while two are styrene sheeting. This structure was originally built for a shelf layout I once had in the location of the current Bellows Falls yard.
The blank rear wall.
The structure measures 86' long, 26' wide and 30' tall at eaves and 33' at the peak. I used Floquil tuscan red for the walls and a cream colour trim and windows. The sign I made up on the computer. The roof when I built it was masking tape painted black. It began to lift so I pulled it all off easily. It actually looked pretty good as-is so I just added a bit of weathering. The outlines of the tape was still there after being on the structure for over 30 years.
The roof is made to come off the structure. Note the extra bracing to the long wall which kept it from bowing and the structure square.
One of the last shots I took of Bellows Crossing with the novelty works still in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment