Monday 20 April 2020

Loading Ramp

This ramp and platform looks right at home on Kip Grant's layout.
Recently I was asked about loading platforms with a ramp. I had build a Pickstuff kit back in January that I posted. It is a lot larger than what I would require at the moment on the WRD. Here is a look at a few more ramps that could fit anywhere on a siding. The first ramp seen is one Kip Grant added to his layout. It is a simple but neat looking structure that adds an extra spot for dropping off a load.

Kip noted that he scratch-built his ramp. It is based on bits and pieces of prototype docks he had seen around his area. Kip models the D&H. He measured it up for me as I want to build a similar version for my layout. The dock is 16' by 24' with a 20 ft long ramp that is 10.5 feet wide.

I then asked Don about his two ramps, one that I took some phone photos of as reference. I have two spots on my layout during my ongoing rebuild that could benefit from a small ramp to spot some of the interesting loads and empties that I would like to highlight in scenes...more on this as my focus on this topic widens...George Dutka

I am hoping to add a similar ramp on my layout. It really does not take up much real estate.
This is one of the two examples of loading ramps Don Janes built for his layout. Don Janes photo
Another angle of Don's ramp. Don Janes photo
This is Don's second wooden ramp that is a Walthers offering. I am not sure if this one is still available. Don Janes photo.
I took this photo of Don's ramp on a visit last summer with my phone. It is not in place yet.
Another angle of the Walthers ramp. Don Janes photo.

Don has done a great job weathering this ramp. It is made from styrene. The overhead crane makes an excellent detail for such a site. Don Janes photo

No comments:

Post a Comment