Saturday 11 April 2020

April Update

The end wall of my BEST mill is being shingled. It is a long process.
I have spent most of last week applying shingles to the walls of a BEST mill. I am glad that part of the project is done...now to the more fun stuff. I also finished a FOS free kit last month which only took two days as it is a really small building....enjoy this mix of prototype and modeling views...George Dutka


My back alley scene is coming along well I now have all the building finished. One can see them set on a sheet of Gatorfoam. More to come on the structures and scene.

This was a quick build about a week or so ago.  It is a really small structure. I am not sure yet were it might fit in my modeling scenes. It was a FOS free kit offering from a couple of years ago.
I have showed you how I used the small size tight spot sander by National Scale Car. Here are the other two sizes included in the package with the sandpaper also included. I have used the small one numerous times.


CNWX scrap in Burnaby BC close to the SRY Rail Link, Feb 14, 2009, Andrew Fletcher photo. Peter brought over a thumb drive that I believe Don McQueen loaded for us. I think there are at least a few hundred views included...could be up to a thousand views. This file is marked from the Mark Forseille collection. Thanks Mark for letting us publish some.
Peter and I took in the Brantford layout tour 2018. Our first stop was in Paris, Ontario to visit a N scale layout. The entrance was through the rear door. As we walked into the back yard a great view of a passing CN train was there for us to enjoy. What a great place on a warm day to sit out back and have a beer and see what comes by. I am sure there never will be a back fence as long as this modeler lives here. Note he has added telegraph insulators to the cloths line. April 7, 2018

Kevin Smith sent me this photo of his finished Atlas B&M gondola that he got on ebay. I really like how he dirty up the interior.
My latest milk car completed is this F&C B&M Brookside milk car that Bob Bowes built. He did a fine job on the model but painted it a bright red. After a flat finish coat I used PanPastel red iron oxide extra dark to tone it down. I think it worked fine saving the chore of a repaint.
GT 4447 at St. Albans is seen in May 18, 1979 during a visit by Gord Taylor to the area. If you model this era this is a good candidate to model. Note the wooden CV boxcars still in use in the background. Peter Mumby collection.
Brian Smith sent me this photo he took on a trip down south.
I found this on-line. Someone cut out a pop can and turned it into a sign. I can see a lot of metal signs being made.
The farm scene that Don completed and posted this past week is seen in the background. He has moved along and added an overhead bridge. Here is Don's comments. " I scratch built it years ago from plans in MR.  It was on the old layout also.  Finally got it into the farm scene and the road painted on the wall where it blends into the actual road. The bridge kind of brackets the end of the farm scene."

2 comments:

  1. George,
    Thanks for the reminder tip on the tight spot sanders.
    Just ordered a set...
    KLS

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much of interest in this post:
    -the gon interior was interesing. When I use my Dremel cutter, I save the the little curled up hot styrene bits, once cool, and glue a few in corners of gons. Doesn't prevent me from adding/removing loads, but looks a little used.
    -always like to see your buildings and detail
    -just when I think that barn scene can't get any better ...the bridge!
    -CNWX limes whacked and stacked - depressing!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete