Saturday 8 July 2023

A bit about my Book! - Part Four

This is a scene that I was trying out as I plan on taking out the diamond and replace it with an interlocking location to a longer spur.
Today I have posted a number of unused views from Chapter 11 which was a tour of the White River Division. This was a hard chapter to write since I have already covered the layout in MR, RMC and CARM's "Canadian". What should I cover that had not been talked about in the past? I had to consider that many of the readers might not have seen the earlier articles or remember what was said. I decided on some of the basics such as concept, size and how it operates. Otto has done a great job on a full page diagram which includes information such as track size, curve radius and so on. From there scenery, and layout features was required. Of course I had to say a bit about my motive power and rolling stock and lastly changes to the layout and what's next to be done.

The photos that were chosen by Otto were good but I found heavy on the B&M side. I realized that was my fault as there were many more B&M than CV, Rutland or CPR views. This was November and the book was going to press in less than a month. I took a group of new photos quickly one evening and also a few overhead views with my phone. The overhead phone photo was inserted on page 95 as a good overview of the Bellows Falls yard. On that same page a photo of CV 8081 was inserted last minute before the book went to print. The 8081 photo Otto had all along, and decided it would fit in well. I was worried some of the captions were now not correct with a few photos being changed around, but all was well at the end. This was happening days before going to the printer. 

One last insert into the book that I did not think about till the end was a dedication to my father in law who had recently passed. He was the reason I began working for CN and got back into modeling. I will cover him a bit more in another post. Room being an issue in the book not a lot could be said other than he was a mentor to me through the years...George Dutka 

Last minute I took a couple of views of my new CV RS-3...note it has not even been toned down. This was days before the book went to the printer. I should have spent sometime on the engine. Kind of glad it did not get used. I will take some new photos with this engine once the weathering is done.

White River Jct.

Bellows Crossing is a busy location at this moment. This photo was taken with my Canon pocket camera which I just sat on the track.

The CV switcher handles a short transfer by the B&M yard office in WRJ.

WRJ scratch-built coal tower.

CV steam is gone being replaced by Geeps.


No comments:

Post a Comment