Monday 3 July 2023

A bit about My Book! - Part One

The weathered Grandt Line corrugated iron warehouse placed into a White River Division scene. This structure was covered in chapter two, "Model Makeovers"
Back in the fall of 2021 Otto Vondrak did an on-line interview. I noted that during his conversation he was thinking of publishing modeling books through White River Productions. In one of our correspondences regarding RMC features I was working on I mentioned to Otto that I had published a group of data-packs 20 years ago and actually had started a New England modeling book back then. I think I had just under half of it completed when I set the project aside. Otto commented he would get back to me about that. 

This photo was also used on the RMC cover that featured my layout a number of years ago.

Well it was late winter or early spring 2022 when Otto brought up the topic once again. He said White River was interested in a book of my work but something not as specific as all New England. He thought using a few of my past articles published in RMC plus some new material would work well. I mentioned a group of topics I could easily cover and he picked the ones he thought would work. The plan was to have the text and photos completed by early fall (September) for editing and layout. Many of the features we agreed on had photos already available. I take photos all the time while building models. I realized there was not a lot of time to complete at least 7 chapters of new material. White River's books are now 96 pages. Otto mentioned a pretty large grouping of my articles he was thinking of using from past RMC issues. The articles would all be expanded on. When I did a quick page count there was more than a book full in his list. I really did not know which features he would use from past RMC's till I got an early version of the book to check over in November 2022. For new material I actually sent in more than was required (now on file for future RMC's). The back and forth with photos and text changes went on till days before the book went to press. More on that later.

A different view of  a Walthers shed that also got a makeover for Chapter two.

So what happened to the New England book. I keep pulling it out from time to time and thinking of beginning on it once again. I would have to add more material as I have pilfered some article from it for RMC and the NMRA magazine. These are CV milk cars and Borden's butter dish cars. I have a lot though I can add as replacements. I will see where that all goes, I really do want to complete this book someday and probably will have to self publish it.

A final note for today...if you have read my book I did manage to get in a good amount of New England modeling into the book and even  a bit of Maine narrow gauge too. More on the book tomorrow...George Dutka

The feed store is ready of weathering.


Two more views of the Grandt Line Corrugated Iron Warehouse being used as a feed store that has had a good dose of weathering applied. Making the signs look old really helps with the final appearance. I like loading up the platform also with details.

I sent in more views than required for the book as one can see. 
I thought one of these two photos might make it into the book for Chapter Two. The updated Atlas water tank has a Rutland Mikado coming up for a fill. This scene has now changed a bit.

Always liked this view on the WRD. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello! Love the feed store. Is it kitbashed from a Walthers kit? I tried to search for a feed store from Walthers specifically to no avail and thought perhaps it's a 'bash. Looking forward to the book. Cheers, Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ted
    I purchased a box full of Walther kits a number of years ago from an estate. Some built and others still in boxes. This one was built and it is not a bash. I looked up Walthers Catalog from 2019 and did not see it there so it is an older kit. A couple of the kits I got in the group are labeled differently than now being sold. A creamery building which was in the catalog as a complex is now a single structure offer as a feed mill. The storage sheds I have I noted are offered in a number of kits or separately. It is a nice kit and I am wondering if they will release it once again. I may drop them a line and ask about it. I sold my model to someone who really liked it and wanting it...wish I kept it...George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figured it out! I knew it looked familiar... it's Grandt Line "Corrugated Iron Warehouse" kit no. 5908. It was driving me bonkers! Cheers, ZTed

      Delete
  3. Hi Ted
    Interesting thanks for the information...will have to check out their kits.I was under the impression they were all Walther kits in the box...now I know...George

    ReplyDelete