Friday 21 July 2023

CP Mill - Pontypool, Ontario

The refurbished CPR Pontypool grain mill looking east on July 10 2023.
On my trip to Eastern Ontario I stopped by the old mill which was a CPR facility for years. I had been there back in 1989 with Warren Dodgson on our way to a train show. Over the years Peter Mumby had given me views of the mill which is near his cottage. I always wondered how the mill now looked or if it was actually still standing. To my surprise it was still there and totally refurbished. 

The Pontypool mill is located east of Toronto and west of Havelock. The grain mill was built in 1918 and is one of two remaining free standing grain elevators in Ontario. The structure owned by CP has been donated to the "Friends of the Pontypool Grain Elevator". The mill was in use till the 1970's with rail service. 

I think it is a neat structure worth having a model of. On my visit I took some basic measurements as I have a model kit of the structure for over 30 years. The measurements will help me size the model correctly. I think this kit has now  moved closer to the top of my pile of kits...George Dutka

I stopped on the highway bridge to get an overall view of the grain elevator site. In this photo we are looking east. July 10. 2023.

Roadside view looking northeast.


There was a gas pump at the mill site on my visit during November 1989.

Nov 1989

The add-on structure is now gone.

There was a sign on the west side of the structure. Nov 1989
My Pontypool kit is a box of sticks which was the norm back in the 1970's. Peter Mumby gave me this kit maybe 30 years ago, as I think a Christmas gift. Now to use my photos, a few measurements and some changes to the kit (the structure should have cedar shingles).

Kawartha Lakes Public Library Copy. No date. It must be before 1989 as by then the metal roofing was replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment