Tuesday 18 July 2023

B&M Hoppers - Weathered!

One of the trio got a really rusty roof. I really like this look on covered hoppers...not sure how well the car department likes it though.

Here are the other two of the three pack of B&M Kato covered hoppers. I really went to town on the roof of #5511. I changed my process around first I brushed on AK rust streaks then acrylic dollar store cinnamon brown. The cinnamon brown is just randomly applied. I then applied spots of AK dark rust deposits as big spots. The roof is then overcoated with Bragdon soot and medium rust. The hatches are coated with three gray tones of PanPastel gray. The sides also got all three tones of gray but highlighted with PanPastel raw umber shade.  

The trucks, wheels and couplers on #5511 are coated with AK rust steaks, two coats then Vallejo rust texture lightly over top.

Some rust spots are applied to the sides which is AK rust steak dabs with medium rust by Bragdon pulled down from the spots using a micro brush.

On car #5502 the sides are all coated with three different shades of PanPastel gray's. The hatches are colored using PanPastel titanium white. The couplers are painted using Vallejo rust texture.

I should mention I began with a coat of Flat Clear TS-80 by Tamiya. I used Kadee truck scale #158 couplers...George Dutka

I added a couple of chalk marks on #5502. They do not show up well but are there if one looks closely at the car.
This car got three tones of gray to the sides plus PanPastel raw umber shade as highlights. The weathering is kept on the lighter side as I wanted the chalk marks to show a bit.

A lot more rust spots on this side of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment