Tuesday 4 July 2023

A bit about My Book! - Part Two

One of the unused views that was forwarded for use in the "Tour of White River Division" Chapter 11. I sent in a ton of photos for the tour and I think Otto did a great job picking photos that viewed the layout best. In this view one sees the Northfield Falls covered bridge that I scratch-built and is still along the CV today. At one time the old station sign was attached to the face of the structure facing the tracks.
My book is made up of 11 chapters which 4 are made from articles found in RMC over the years. If you compare these chapters to the original articles you will find that they have been expanded. The CV caboose feature for instance has the history moved forward with all the prototype and detailed photos added that I originally sent in . Not all fit into the original article. Otto actually added an extra photo of the CV center cupola caboose as it  currently looks. Same was done with the barn and weathering wood chapters. Pretty much all the photos I had sent in were used to expand the chapters which I really liked.

The chapters were grouped into four areas. Of these I came up with 7 new chapters. I actually had 10 new chapters completed, 3 are being held back as future articles, one is coming up in a future RMC Craftsman Workshop. 

Last summer as I was working away on the material I decided to purchase a few of the White River modeling books to see what I was getting into. The one that I was the most interested in                       was edited by Otto called "Paint & Detail Railroad Models with Scott Lupia". My book would be following the same format. I should also mention that Scott's book is fantastic for anyone wanting to learn more about detailing engines and cabooses. I found a lot of detailing information, especially if one wishes to have doors and hatches opened up. 

Both Scott's and my book had the graphic design done by Todd Gillette who also does RMC. He did a wonderful job on both books. I can't believe how good the photos turned out.

More on my book later this week...George Dutka

The following two photos were sent in for use in Chapter 10 "Build Small Dioramas". This view is of Brian Smith's motorcycle shop from up above. It views most of the tools and tones used to complete the model.

I pretty much sent in a view from each angle of this small diorama. Here is one you did not see.


No comments:

Post a Comment