Friday 8 May 2020

WRD - Mill Area Finished

A changing scene at Petersburg.
Two week ago I began working on the layouts redesign. At first I thought I would take out everything that I wanted to change, then do the rebuild. I now want to do one area at a time so the layout looks finished. Not sure why no one will be coming over for who knows how long. Anyhow the creamery scene is gone permanently and a BEST mill is now included. More on how I built the mill shortly. From the photos you can see I took out the junction switch and the spur switch. The spur now begins at the diamond and is almost half the length of the layout along the backdrop. There will be a lot more locations to spot cars...more on that also shortly.

The main line now follows the foreground scene making it better for photography and viewing trains. Next my Walthers ramp will be installed followed by the coal dealer being moved back along the spur. The Brownstone abutments and trestle will be built after that.

With the chance of our weather getting better here in Ontario (it has mostly been cold) I have a lot of outdoor projects to do (wife chores) and depending on the quarantine some trips to the lake, more railfanning at locations I have never been to and who knows a cottage rental. Modeling will probably come to a halt till the hot summer days that will chase me downstairs. Posts will continue with the projects I worked on over the winter...George Dutka

The switch to the spur and junction switch are removed. Also all the trees details and structures have been removed for the rebuild.
Closer look at the mess.
New flex track has been installed and the new BEST mill is being test fitted.
A bit of cutting up of a cardboard box and I have what is needed for a new roadway.
The new road is plastered and will be painted shortly. I used limestone screenings that has been screened for just the fine stuff.
I added a length of barb wire which is made from brass etchings.
The scene is about finished just in time for the regular B&M milk train to pass. Both the station and mill have the ability to be changed out so one never knows what is coming up at this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment