|A CV Accurail boxcar is first up ready for pick up on the White River Division. The CV boxcar in the rear is a Steam Shack resin kit.|
|Alan Irwin photo|
Back a few years ago I had an article published in the CVRHS Ambassador covering how I updated a CV Accurail 40' boxcar. A few weeks ago I got a nice thank-you for writing the article from CVRHS member Jack Kelley who used my instructions to complete the same project. He mentioned it was one of the few projects that he did without using an airbrush. I will included a photo of his model in another post...or a part two. I ran out of room in this blog once again and still had two more photos to include. I am finding deleting photos as I have done the last month does not add more space anymore, even when using smaller sized photo.
I thought this blog might be a good place to cover this project once again since most of you are not CVRHS members. This project is not too taxing and can add another interesting car to ones fleet.
The hardest part of this makeover was scraping off the side ladders, grabs and car end support posts that were not seen in my photos of the prototype. All these changes are what make the model appear more like the prototype. I used Tichy grab irons as replacements for the ladders. The end bracing is Evergreen 2 by 4 styrene. The end cowl is made of scrap styrene. The cowl's middle width is 6” and is 30” long which widens to 10” at the ends. Score the bends and glue it on. I used Walthers Goo for this job.
I will be away sailing up north for most of the next two weeks and hope to figure out how to overcome the photo problem when I return...George Dutka
|The finished model in use.|