Sunday 20 October 2024

CNR - Washago

Ian Wilson produced a book of this location during the 1952 era which looks a lot different than what one will see today if one visited.    
This summer I stopped twice at Washago, Ontario just north of Orillia on my way to Muskoka. Once on purpose as I had not been there before and was wondering how it was laid out. The second time was by chance as my GPS took me through town. Although I did not see any trains I did have a chance to take a look around at the VIA and old CNR station still standing. The coal and water tank are still in place although the water tank looks a lot different that in the photos I have seen. The tracks to Atherley and Orillia are gone although a piece of the east end of the old wye is still there not attached to the main but has railcars on it...not sure what that is all about.   

The CNR station looks different than in photos from the past. The roofline overhang has maybe changed a bit. A CN trailer now used as a work crew office is set between the two stations...George Dutka  

The current VIA station and water tank which is different than what was once used by the railroad, but same location.

The old Washago CN station.


Station signs still in place on the old station.

Looking down towards the old coal tower.



No comments:

Post a Comment