Tuesday 15 October 2024

Fixer-upper Boxcar

I used two of my new craft paints on the roof and running boards, charcoal grey and barnwood which both worked well after my Tamiya flat finish was applied. These models come with some heavy weathering on the lower areas which I repainted with Floquil boxcar red.  
Peter Mumby brought over a few cars that needed some loving that he did not want anymore. The first one that I tackled was an Ertl 40" boxcar. At first it looked as an easy go with the weight and roof needing to be attached, but a close look at the model found some grabs missing, couplers off,  the brake wheel and staff in the box with no platform to be found. Nothing that was hard to correct just a bit of extra time. I used a Tichy platform adding Kadee No. 158 true scale couplers on the model but clipped the pins. RH-0307 rubber air hoses and Detail Associates # 6215 uncoupling levers.

I painted the wheels Cinnamon brown with black Bragdon powders applied. The running boards are painted Folkart barnwood which looks really good as weather beaten wood. I used my usual PanPastel raw umber shade and red iron oxide extra dark on the roofing. The sides are left lightly weathered with some PanPastel colorless blender to fade the sides down a bit and raw umber shade on the doors and lower areas. PanPastel Paynes grey extra dark (almost black) highlight areas of the doors, roof edges and side ladders...George Dutka

PanPastels used on this project. The PanPastels really tone down the roof tones.

The Ertl boxcar is ready to hit the rails on the WRD. The 

The finished model with lightly weathered sides and a well worn roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment