Sunday 16 August 2020

The Dot

I believe the old sign has been preserved inside.
I recently got the following comments from Bill Badger who went to school in the WRJ area...George Dutka

Hot summer and being tired from Lyme has giving me a chance to catch up on reading and I just got to your article on the Polka Dot Diner, and my past came roaring back. The Dot was the all-night diner in my college days up the road, and when the frat house parties ended and you had the munchies, it was off to the Dot. It was rumored to be possible to catch sexually transmitted diseases from a spoon, but it fit the bill perfectly. At some point, maybe after I had left, The Dot quit being all-night and the Four Aces in West Leb became the place to go, but The Dot had more character and was legend for a number of generations of college students.

One of my favorite stories happened one Saturday night when a couple of guys got in a car and were leaving a frat house late at night when another guy came running out and said, wait for me, climbed in the back and fell asleep. He assumed they were going to The Dot, but to his surprise he woke up in someplace like Detroit. It turns out the guys had girlfriends at U Mich. and decided to road trip. Surprise!

Nice article in addition to a nice prototype. I enjoy all your articles.

Bill

Don Janes and I have not been to the Dot in a long time. Waiting for our breakfast Sept. 2010.
A photo display at WRJ 2011 including the Polka Dot Diner.
A 1950's view.

No comments:

Post a Comment