Sunday 21 January 2024

This and That - January 2024

VIA 911 is seen just west of Komoka diamond on Oct. 3, 2022. I was standing way back taking a telephoto shot from the CP trackage. 
I had not done a mix of topics since November 2023 so here we have some extra views that I thought I would share with you...happy winter modeling or railfanning. I also included a few views from last years Springfield visit...kind of wish I could go again this year...George Dutka  

It is well after dark as I took this view of the tail end of the WB or return trip of the CN plow train I was working on as the brakeman. It was Jan 20, 1985 and ones vision was not all that great with whiteouts. Normally when we stop when weather is bad even though it is yard limits and trains have to watch I put a lighted fusee in the knuckle. I was riding the van and Stratford had a number of locals working the area. I had my camera along on this trip but no tripod. Actually did not have time for that anyhow. We were just getting our train orders before we where on our way home to London, Ont. 


There is a gentleman at Springfield that has a nice selection of built kits for sale. He has done a wonderful job on this project. I like the looks of the passenger car being used as an extension to this building.

I always like checking out the BarMills kits. I seem to come away with something from their booth on my visits.

The CPKC yard office here in London Ontario has the new sign applied. Not sure when but I did not see it during the fall on visits by here. Jan 12, 2024. Also of interest I took this view with my telephoto lens from a distance of about a third of a mile (or should I say from the street). Note the brick tones. I thought it was all red brick but when viewed this way there is a lot of dark coloring. Also the mortar appears also. There is a lot of talk about us modelers adding mortar to a brick wall. I feel if it a backdrop structure you could leave it out but in the foreground it does show. Just look at structures as you walk a street...even the ones on the other side of the street we can see some mortar.

BAR Geep #70 handles a local on the WRD. That CN hopper car is a Rapido model that I added a bit of weathering to...by the looks of the engine leading it needs a lot more for this particular scene.

Winter is here in Southwestern Ontario finally. This is Jan 9. 2024 and the first real snow has arrived. This is CN layover power at London East. I will show you some other views later on of this unit. It might be a great weathering project. This is the best looking side.

Now that winter is here work on the underpass at the west end of CPKC yard here in London is slowing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment