Saturday 9 May 2015

Crosby Coal - N Scale


The finished model set on a Gatorfoam base and ready for Gary Pembleton`s layout.The wall colouring turned out better than I thought it would since I was working in such a small scale. The coal used is a mix of Woodland Scenic and Sylvan Scale models.
I have already built and posted my HO version of Crosby Coal a couple of years ago and a What`s in the Box for the N scale version was posted during the winter. Building a N scale model I though would be challenging after struggling with my HO model. As it turned out it went together really well. Not sure if it had anything to do with being my second attempt. The photos tell the rest of the story. I will be posting a photo group of the finished detailed model shortly...George Dutka

On my HO scale model this interior support was a little tougher to assemble than on the N scale version.
I added a lot of interior supports to deter warps. I use whatever is on hand to hold the walls together while the glue dries and remains square.
The front view prior to paint and stain.
The rear wall is ready for paint. The base got a coat of Floquil concrete.
The rear wall and one end got a good coat of paint but the front is done well worn. The red used is Floquil Tuscan. The front wall began with a coat of Hunterline weathering mix then a really thin wash of Floquil grime. While wet I dry brushed tuscan red at the areas that would have paint still attached. The whole front then got a wash of thinner to blend it all together.
The rear wall began with Hunterline weathering mix followed by a thinned wash of of Tuscan followed by a second coat. To add a pop of colour some Bragdon reds are used here and there. One end is also left unpainted.
The module has beach sand for the roadway and for the grass area 2mm static grass. The coal shed base is glued in place but I still need to do some work on the structures roofing. The kit came with a nice stick on slate sheeting. This I painted Floquil concrete with a touch of black added. I then went over individual shingles with a wash of black and concrete 50-50. By dabbing my brush in different areas of the mix I have different tones results of dark gray to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment