Sunday 22 January 2017

Bachmann Coal Tower - Weathered!

The coal tower is painted black before I applied PanPastels and Bragdon powders.
I purchased a good old model that we all have seen many times. Not the greatest detailed model but when you get one for almost nothing you may as well play around with it a bit. Some of the oversized details could be changed, but I left all as is. I am currently building a little steam engine diorama for my engines that don't run anymore and I don't want to let go. This coal tower might find a spot track side...if not it might be someones flea market find.

I forgot to take a photo of it as it arrived on my work bench. I began by washing all the dirt and grime from the not so shiny plastic walls and roofing. I then spray-bombed it with Walmart flat black. The captions tell the rest of the story...George Dutka

Once done I added some details. A shovel, barrel and worker all by Juneco. I also added a couple of BEST pigeons. The windows and doors got a dusting of Bragdon green grunge. The walls got a dusting of PanPastel Raw Umber Shade followed by some Burnt Sienna Shade (only a touch). Last coat is Bragdon shoot as stains and streaks.

The coal chute is kind of out of scale but I left it as is. I added a bit of PanPastels course coal dust. One can see the added details on the platform.

The roof is a mix of Bragdon rust colours and PanPastel Burnt Sienna Shade which looks kind of like a rusty brown. The concrete base and highlights on the stairs is done with PanPastel Neutral Gray Shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment