Saturday 18 January 2014

Carman's Shed for the White River Division

The White River Junction carman's shed is now in place. As a joint B&M - CV facility, the CV crew brought over there stove and CNR stack for winter heat. I also added a B&M placard to the boxcar door. It was reduced from the full size prototype.
I needed to add a few shanties to my rebuilt WRJ yard. I decided to make the carman's shack a boxcar. I used a Walthers-TrainMinitures outside braced shell. I took off the doors, trimmed off the over scale stuff and attached opened enough to add a caboose door. The ends are cut out and a piece of styrene is added to emulate the B&M style of ends. I was not worried about the details on the ends as boxcar doors and ladders covered most of it. I replaced the roof walk with broken pieces of styrene and a CNR caboose stack. I glued on a bill box and a small window. I did not cut out an opening for the window as I would just blacken it out. Both the door and window got a styrene overhang. The whole project to this point only took half an hour. I actually spent more time painting lettering and weathering the car.


I painted the boxcar Floquil Tuscan red. The B&M logos are from Walthers while the lettering are just left over CDS dry transfers. I was not worried about the numbering as I only added a few numbers. The decals went on without any gloss underneath and did not get any dulcote over top which still worked out well. Once the decals and lettering was on I just applied a lot of weathering using Bragdon powders....George Dutka

This shed turned out to be an easy build using whatever I had on hand at the time. Note the broken roof walk, the styrene ends and ladder attached. A caboose door was used as an entrance.
A test fit at its new home. I still would need a good amount of details scattered around to bring it to life.
The finished scene...now that the carman are well supplied...they can get to work on the rips found around the yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment