Monday 27 April 2020

Walthers - Loading Dock

The finished Walthers loading ramp with a few BEST details applied that are excess from the BEST Rockingham Jct. frt. house I just completed.
On my visit to Don's last week he gave me an excess loading dock. A Walthers kit he has came with two ramps and he only used one. I have a spot the ramp and dock fits really well without any cutting. Here is what I did...George Dutka

The loading dock spur.
The supports are all glued in place. The end beam is about to be glued on. I used Walthers Goo to attach these parts. The supports I cut into with my hobby knife to give a grain appearance.
I added a kick plate along all the edges using strip wood. I also added bolt casting to the tops.
I began by applying a coat of Floquil grime using a brush. Once dry a coat of india ink-alcohol mix is applied. Next a dry brushing of Floquil reefer white is added.
I did some streaking with AK pencils gun metal (blackish coloring) and dirty white randomly on the deck. PanPastels are now applied. First raw umber shade (dirty colour) then neutral gray (light colour) and neutral gray extra dark (dark colour). Some highlights are added with PanPastel white. Lastly AK slimy grime dark  (green moss colouring) is sponged on the side areas and ramp.
The bolts are dabbed with Floquil rust followed with Bragdon bright rust streaking.  I also added some wheel marks with Black PanPastels on the ramp. Normally the ramp is added to the ends of the loading dock. For my area I need the ramp to be used on the side.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent modeling and painting! You can't tell it is plastic at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George - can you advise which Walthers kit the loading dock is part of? I looked at little, but there a so many and I can't see what I am seeking. Thank you. Cheers,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ted: I will ask Don and get back to you...George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ted: Don said the loading dock came out of the State Line farm supply dealer. He used the main structure in his Wells River scene (was in a post last Dec.) and MR used the same structure for there "State line kitbash challenge", the dock is an extra added to the kit...George

    ReplyDelete