Monday 8 May 2023

Updating a N Scale Mill

I used a Tichy spure to make the missing loading spout which is painted silver. The signage seen is from RailroadKITS in two sizes. White mortar wash is added to the bricks.

I showed you a few views of Gary's mill last week. I wanted it to look more like the paint has worn off and the signage has been there for years. The roofing was removed and replaced with two different colors of tar paper roofing. Gray and a dark red. This is made from construction paper that is spray coated then sanded off a bit after being cut into 3 foot strips.

To begin I coated the walls with a wash of Floquil grime. It was a jar that the paint was drying out and a lot of thinner needed to be added to turn it back into liquid. It works well for washes. PanPastel brown's and red chalk was lightly applied to were paint might still be, leaving some areas with no paint at all.

I reduced a group of my HO scale mill signs by half. I sanded the backs brushed them with PanPastel raw umber shade to dull down the edges and added a bit of AK rust wash and Vallejo rust texture. 

Some fine Woodland Scenic ground foam was applied were Gary had made vines originally. There is some brick as a base which is drybrushed with a brick red tone and highlighted with grout wash.

I think it is now a nice looking mill that Gary might want once again for his layout...George Dutka  

A wash of Floquil grime is added to the wood walls followed by a coat of India ink and alcohol. Dry brush MIG Rail Center red is dry brushed on the brickwork base.

Chalk and PanPastels are used to add the color to the walls.

I touched up the vines that Gary originally applied. The lower roofing is darker than the top. One can see the paint looks worn.



No comments:

Post a Comment