Monday 16 February 2015

Lyndonville Frt. House - Second Look

An aerial view of the Lyndonville, Vt. frt. house.
Here we have a good group of photos that gives one a good look at the N scale scene at several different angles. The scene was modeled on a piece of Gatorfoam...George Dutka

The only details on this diorama that were purchased are the single and group of tires which are available from Micro Engineering. I also added a figure supplied by Peter and a barrel, everything else I concocted from my HO scale scraps. I planned on using purchased skids but they are out of stock when visiting our local hobby shop...so all these are made from scrap stripwood.
The driveway is made of beach sand while the grass is a Scenic Express offering of 2mm short static grass. I leaned a few weathered boards here and there also. Some HO scale signs are added such as the no parking sign. The doors got a coating of red brick powders which made them stand out a bit better than the walls. At the far end one can see two additional blue signs that are from Wells River and Barton. As this frt. house is at the lines headquarters all this trash seems to show up here. I photocopied and reduced views of the originals.
This end view views some clutter and weeds next to the loading ramp. The tree is an N scale evergreen I use on my WRD layout as background scenery. The Lyndonville sign I photocopied from a late 1940's view of the original. This structure was also in the photo and showed one end of the building with white or cream trim while the other end had a darker red trim. I went with the white trim. The roofing at that time showed as dark gray, but I could not tell if it was shingles or tar paper.
The loading dock has some fresh lumber stacked and scattered below that is just 1 by 4" HO scale stripwood.
My Atlas weathered boxcar seems to fit in well in this view.
All around this structure I scattered newspapers which are reduced from HO scale papers I have. I was pleased how well they reduced to N scale. I just crumpled then up a bit before adding them to this scene.
I left all the doors open on the trackside side. I thought by adding a bit of details inside the doors the scene will become more interesting to view. The sacks are made from brown paper bags. The skids are stripwood and most of the cans are just plastic spur's cut into small pieces with some powders added. I added some stripwood lumber laying around and some brass wire as steel rods.
A final view of this old time freight house that still stands today.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice work you did there George. I follow your blog everyday and I enjoy everything you did and give me inspiration every time! Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Marc...will keep posting...George

      Delete