Monday 18 March 2019

CV Milk Car - F&C Kit

My new addition to the WRD roster.
Here is a recently completed F&C-Steam Shack CV milk car. It was actually built by Bob Bowes but I updated it to my fleets requirements. I picked up two of these from the Bob Bowes estate last summer. Bob an accomplished rolling stock builder did a very fine job completing the model but got the colouring wrong. He used a CN olive green over the entire carbody and underframe. CV 543 Kadee couplers pins were cut off. I don't use magnets for uncoupling and the couplers look more like the prototype with them removed...operations have not suffered also.


Since the ends had lettering applied, I decided to leave this car ends as-is. To correct the colouring, I taped up the sides and ends painting the underbody and roof Floquil grimy black. The car sides and ends are sprayed with Testors dullcoat which makes weathering powders stick better. On the car sides and ends I toned down the colouring using Bragdon soot which is a blackish colour. On the ends I went extra heavy with the soot as many ends are actually black or very dirty. I also applied a light coat of soot on the roof and the underbody. The CV herald lifted under the masking so a new photocopy version was applied. The trucks also got some weathering. I am really happy how the model now looks and a variation in colour is OK as this was the case on the prototype....George Dutka

5 comments:

  1. George, I thought the ends were green, with black roof and underframe. Are you saying the ends should be black?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephan:
    On some cars the ends are black while other are green, photo evidence is the best way to model each car. On the sides some cars had metal placards while others had fallen off so the herald was just painted on. I will have to get permission to post some colour photos...the CVRHS has had some nice photo published and a great article on the topic...George

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Canadian dairy farmer, I would love to add milk train operations to my New York/Vermont layout, but do the milk can cars deliver milk to local creameries as well? or just to the big cities like New York?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James:
      Not really, the creameries and milk platforms collected milk to forward to Boston and New York. Some area creameries processed milk such as at Bellows Falls were it was bottled and shipped. Other points are milk collection points were milk cans were collected, loaded into milk cars and shipped...hope this helps...George

      Delete