Thursday 15 August 2019

Modelling Back in the Days of Yore - The Tempo Project

CN 3152 and 3155 power a Tempo Train through Oakville on Apr. 24, 1976.  Photo by Vince Mountford.
By Peter Mumby

A recent ( Volume 19, No. 2 ) issue of "CN Lines," the CNRHA publication, contained an excellent article by Kevin Holland on the CN Tempo Train services and equipment.
The précis follows:
In mid-1968, CN initiated the new Tempo service on its Southwestern Ontario routes.  Not only were the schedules new, but the Tempo equipment was radically different from any other passenger rolling stock used in Canada up to that time.  Twenty-five cars featured lightweight riveted aluminum bodies riding on distinctive inside-bearing trucks.  The biggest change, however, was that these cars were heated and cooled by electricity generated by head end power equipment (HEP).  To power these trains, six of the company's newest (1960-built) 3800-series MLW freight locomotives had been rebuilt in 1967 with extended short hoods to accommodate these HEP units.  These high hoods had been extended right to the frame edge, and some of the HEP appliances were prominently located at roof level.  The units were designated RS-18m, and featured a distinctive paint scheme.

In later years, two of these locomotives, 3151 and 3153, received wreck damage and had their HEP units and roof-mounted appliances removed.  Three lightweight baggage cars were then rebuilt as electrical generating units 15300 - 15302 to allow these, and other, units to haul the Tempo cars.

The CN Tempo cars were conveyed to VIA in 1978.  The locomotives were leased by Via but retained their CN markings.  Following the retirement of the 3100-3155 series RS-18m units by 1983, the cars were often used on the CN/VIA International trains.  Later careers for many of these cars took them first to the DRGW Ski Train and then the ACR Canyon Tour Train.

Look this article up if you have any interest at all in the CN/VIA Tempo train equipment.  It is full of facts and photos I really could have used some 35 years ago when I decided to build models of two of the locomotives.

CN 3153 heads toward the London station on Oct. 24, 1982.  This is probably the reference photo I used in building my model.
I was asked to detail and decorate an RS-18m diesel for my friend Jake, a CN employee.  (Jake also happens to be George's father-in-law and the mentor who encouraged him along the path towards a career as a CN engineman).  At that time I was doing a bit of custom work for people, and I learned early on that after expending a lot of time and effort on a project, I was reluctant to see the item go out the door.  Thus, I got into the habit of building two models, one for the customer and one for myself.  In the rush to complete the main model, my own was often left only partially complete, and many such projects remain in my drawers to this day.

Back in that era, most rolling stock projects started with something that came out of an Athearn blue box.  Athearn, however, paid little attention to ALCo/MLW prototypes, so I had to go with an RS-11 model produced by Model Power.  This was rather "clunky" in appearance, and featured a toy train mechanism.  Since my models were intended for the display shelf rather than the layout, the Model Power products would have to suffice.  Extra shells were procured and used for the distinctive extended short hoods.  The vertical hand rail stanchions were retained and drilled out to accept wire rails, and separate grab irons were installed on the ends.  A bell was mounted high on each hood, but I made no attempt to model the HEP appliances on the roof since I had no photos for guidance.  As it turns out, the model of 3151 with its relatively plain short hood roof is reasonably close to its appearance following the removal of the HEP equipment.  The level of detail is somewhat minimal by today's standard, but the appropriate paint job left a decent overall impression.

As many of you are aware, a year ago Rapido Trains announced that it would be producing RS-18 models, including the Tempo variant.  These are expected to arrive within the next few weeks, so I will finally get a good look at those roof-mounted appliances. My model of 35 years ago will likely go back into the bottom of the drawer.  If I'm lucky, maybe Jake's locomotive is still out on display!

CN 3153 heads up the dead line at Toronto's Spadina shops on July 18, 1983.

Jake's completed model of 3150 is in the foreground, displaying its incorrect detailing on the high short hood.  I lucked out with my model of 3151, since the prototype had its HEP roof-mounted appliances removed.  Model photos by George Dutka.
The two models pose together on the White River Division.
Looks a bit like an advertisement for Rapido Trains, but I can assure you that I received no considerations from the company for this post. (Pity!)
Watch for their proper RS-18m models to arrive in hobby shops soon!
The T-shirt in the background is also a Rapido product.


2 comments:

  1. One of my earliest memories of railroading is walking past those shiny outside disc brake trucks to board the train though the red doors in Woodstock on my way to London to visit my grandparents. You can bet I preordered one of those full Rapido sets the moment they were available to order. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can relive the memories in HO scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember those cars well also Mike. I spent some of my early years on CN working passenger trains...George

    ReplyDelete