Tuesday 13 October 2020

Inspection Train to Sarnia

A passenger extra headed to Sarnia out of the London, Ont. station with me as part of the train crew. I remember walking aboard the engine to talk to the engineman. The cab was so clean you could eat off the floor. When CN's VP is aboard all is first class.
I think Peter passed this photo along to me taken by our friend, CN employee and railfan Chris Martin. Chris at one time worked in the engineering department in the London CN tower. He than had access to get shots of anything out of the ordinary. On this occasion I was working the tail end spare board and was called for this passenger extra running from London to Sarnia and return. I was either the conductor or brakeman. My father in law our areas Master Mechanic was also on board to ride the head end. I don't recall who was all on board but it was high up CN brass...I believe the VP was the most senior official. Anyhow the run went well. Once the group de-trained at the Sarnia station we wyed the train and headed back to London. It was a long time ago and don't remember all the details...George Dutka     

3 comments:

  1. Very cool photo and story, George! That must've been not very long after 2119 was built (August 1983) as it is still shiny and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve the photo is undated so hard to tell...but I agree the engine looks pretty new. If I find my old time book used to record information for payment I would have more information...George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing photos of the old CN Tower. I'm building an HO scale model and I wish there were more photos of the ground level around. Of course I wish I had taken them myself when I had the chance. If only we could travel back in time.

    ReplyDelete