Sunday 18 October 2020

Visiting St. Marys, Ontario

Looking east towards the St. Marys Jct. station. Oct. 14 2020

On Wednesday I made a trip to Stratford for a short and social distance visit with my friend Bruce Douglas. On my way home I stopped in St. Marys were two CN stations remain. One is used as a VIA stop and houses an art gallery and clock shop. It is in very good shape. The other is at St. Marys Jct. a location were the CN Forest Sub once joined the Thorndale Sub. This route took one to Sarnia via Granton, Parkhill and Thedford. The station has been fenced off for decades. I had not visited this location since 1992 making a return visit anticipated. The station is now under renovation with fencing removed from three sides. I believe it will become a micro brewery. The GTW caboose alongside might be a future ice cream shop. The area is really built up since my last visit with a subdivision a short distance away. I nice park across the road and a dog park right next door...George Dutka

A new steel roof has been added to the Jct station. The fence is mostly down and it appears services are being run to the structure.

The caboose on display on site may become a business also.

The St. Marys VIA station with the limestone base water tank in the background makes for great photos. The long trestle is found behind me.

Roadside view notes an art gallery and clock shop are located inside the station.

I was really surprised to find the CN-GEXR yard almost empty. It is a larger yard and had been used for car storage for years. I believe many of the tracks had been upgraded.


No comments:

Post a Comment