Wednesday 1 February 2012

Crosby Coal - Coal Loader

My finished conveyer is ready to be installed at Crosby Coal.

Scale Scenics - Belt Conveyer

While building Crosby Coal I needed a few detail features to complete the scene. One I though would fit well into the scene was a belt coal conveyer. I purchased a white metal model by Scale Scenics #652-3508. This is a simple kit to construct. The holes in the wheels need to be reamed out with a hobby knife so they can fit on the shafts. Some flashing needed to be cleaned up also.  I used Walthers Goo for attaching all the detail parts. I then painted the conveyer with Floquil Pullman green. After this dried for a few days a wash of very thin Floquil Grimy black is applied along with some chalk weathering. The conveyer would be really dirty from all the coal. I do not like the looks a bright colours on my models. Especially when they have seen years of use. The wheels that are red I just dusted with red chalk weathering. The models details are highlighted with some rust chalk. And that's it...so now on to the next project...George


The kit is all laid out and I am ready to begin.

The model is almost completed...I use my tweezers to hold things in place while they dry.



A prototype view of a conveyer I found in the D&H Rouses Point NY yard near the car shops on April 1, 1989. Lots of snow that year....George Dutka photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment