|A Maine Central RS-11 and F-3 A unit lead a southbound freight over the White River bridge as it approaches White River Jct. yard....photos by Don Janes|
Maine Central Power Makes A Surprise Visit to WRJ...by Don Janes
|I raced to the crossing just north of the yard and caught the train popping out from behind the grocery store. It's a good thing they had to stop and line the switch into the yard.|
|Once the train was yarded the engines ran to the shop and took a spin on the turntable. The RS-11 would have to be leading when the train headed back up north. Note the two newly repainted CV cabooses in the background.|
Modelling a Maine Central RS-11
The Maine Central originally ordered one RS-11, #801. Portland Terminal also got a RS-11, but shortly after delivery the unit was re-lettered Maine Central and given road number #802. I am modeling no. 802.
I decided to add a Soundtraxx Tsunami ALCO 251 V12 sound decoder and a 16mm x 35mm oval speaker. I made a styrene speaker enclosure and mounted the speaker in the long hood facing down. To complete the electronics part of this project I installed Sunny White LED's (from TCS) for the headlight and rear light and adjusted the various CV's for the decoder to suit my liking.
Next I turned my attention to adding a few details that would make my model match the prototype Maine Central locomotive. The Atlas RS-11 comes with a wide fuel tank. After looking at prototype photos I removed this tank and scratch built a new, narrower tank from styrene adding the necessary details. I made the fuel filler pipes by bending finishing nails to the proper shape and gluing them into holes I drilled on each side of the tank. The air reservoirs under the running board were fabricated from Detail Associates roof mounted air tanks for GP-7/9's.
Another detail I added was the hand brake chain and guides on each side near the front of the unit. The guides are brass castings from Custom Finishes and the chain is 40 links per inch from Builders in Scale. This detail really adds a lot in my eyes. The bell on the fireman's side of the long hood was made from a Miniatures by Eric RS-11 bell. Another detail I added was the sanding pipes on each end of the trucks. These were made from small wire inserted into holes in the slack adjusters on the truck frame.
If I had one complaint about Atlas diesels it would be the grossly over sized handrails on their locomotives. To correct this issue I cut each stanchion away from the hand rails and drill #78 holes in each stanchion to accept .015 brass wire. Before doing this I bend new handrails from brass wire using the plastic handrails as a guide then insert this wire into the stanchions and replace them in the frame. The result is a much more scale looking handrail assembly. Since I didn't have any True Colour Maine Central Pine Green paint on hand I used CNW green to paint the brass wire and found it to be a close match to the green on the model. For the end handrail brackets I used Smokey Valley brass handrail brackets and .015 brass wire. I added drop steps that I had left over from a Proto 1000 RS-18 and installed Detail Associates MU receptacles in the brackets. Once the detail work was done I added a light coat of weathering to the engine using my airbrush and some powdered chalks from AIM.
By adding a few extra details and making a new fuel tank I ended up with a model that closely matches the prototype Maine Central RS-11.