Friday 8 January 2021

Waterbury Gets A New Creamery

 

A CV milk car has been spotted at the creamery

Expanding a Building Flat Kit....by Don Janes

     Lately I have been working on some structures so I can eventually finish the Waterbury, Vt. scene on my layout.  There is a low backdrop wall set out about nine inches from the main wall to hide three staging tracks behind Waterbury.  Because of this the area I have to work with in Waterbury has been reduced so I have built several background structure flats. One of them was posted on this blog recently.  One structure I have always liked was the Calamus Milling  kit.  It is designed to be 9" wide and 2" deep.  I thought it would look good as a creamery but when I set the front and side walls up against the backdrop it just didn't look right.  It was just too shallow and too far from the siding track. Pondering my options I decided to make it into a full structure.  I searched through my supplies and found wood siding that matched that in the kit and I had several Tichy windows on hand to match the ones in the kit and also some additional doors to add to the extended sides..  Armed with the necessary supplies I set about to build a full size creamery.  

This is the cover photo of the FOS kit

.           I just built the structure to fit the available space and placed the additional doors and windows where I thought they would be on a real building.  George had sent me some photos of some real New England creameries and I was pleased to see that the one of the Enosburg Falls Vermont creamery on the CV Richford Sub. was very similar to the kit. 
The creamery at Enosburg Falls, Vt. on the Central Vermont.
 
The structure above is one of the creameries located in Waterbury.


The basic structure is finished and the roof has lots of bracing.
       
     Once the basic structure was in place I decided, judging from the prototype photo, that the creamery should have a boiler house with a large smoke stack.  I found a round brick smoke stack made by Bar Mills in my parts drawer and decided to build the boiler house from scratch.  I had never built a brick building before so this was a good one to start with. I would be quite small and not too complex.  I built the basic shell from .040 styrene and used N Scale Architect sheet brick material. The windows and doors were from my parts box.
The Bar Mills smoke stack before painting and weathering.
The finished scratchbuilt boiler house
The boiler house and stack are completed and lights added.

     Once the boiler house was finished I added the card stock roof to the creamery and then covered it with tar paper.  I found several different roof vents in my parts box and added them to the roof. Once they were in place I weathered the the structure. 
     At this point I decided to add exterior lights over the doors.  For these I used warm white 0603 SMD LED's mounted in Tichy lamp shades. I feel these lights just add a little more realism and bring the building to life.
    The loading dock came next.  The loading dock in the kit was a little shorter than I wanted and a little too wide so I decided to scratch build a new one with wood I had on hand.  Once I am ready to put the creamery in place permanently I will add the door at the end of the ramp and various other details like milk cans found around a creamery. 

Here you can see the finished loading dock and the lights over the doors 

The structure is basically finished and a milk car is spotted at the loading dock.

The siding also has a coal dealer and feed mill on it making for some interesting switching.

2 comments:

  1. A handsome and very believable creamery. I'd never know you'd never scratchbuilt in brick before. The results are terrific.

    ReplyDelete