Monday 23 January 2023

St Albans Roundhouse - Interior

 

Inside the St. Albans Roundhouse Oct. 2 2010.

Last weekend I was working a table at the Woodstock train show when my friend John Hajnosz from the Buffalo, NY area passed by. It has been a long time since we last saw each other. We had a good chat which usually covers New England modeling. John is in the process of building the St. Albans roundhouse. He was interested knowing if there were many pits in the stalls. I told him I had a tour of the roundhouse during a CVRHS convention. I though there were pits in most stall but was not sure without looking at the photos I took. As usual I did not take as many photos as I should have, it was pretty dark in there....George Dutka  

The interior of the two stall machine shop also has pits.



As one can see there are pits in the stalls.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks George for the photos, were there any pits in the roundhouse or were they only used for storing locos when not in use. I also regret that I didn't take more photos, and that FEC unit, I'll have to mention it to one of the modelers who picked up 2 of the Athearn Genesis Geeps for 200 bucks and get this they were brand new with sound ! at the Rochester RIT show. Another detail I'm reaching on the roundhouse are the 2 stalls at the end of the roundhouse facing the present Amtrack station looking south seem to have had doors at one time but are now blocked one with brick the other with sheet metal, I was wondering if this was original to the roundhouse or cut away in the later years. I'm trying to build the roundhouse in more of it's original form. Thanks JOHN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes John there was pits in the roundhouse. Would have to look at current and old photos to assess what you mentioned...George

    ReplyDelete