Sunday 13 October 2024

Athearn - North Stratford Ry Boxcars


I purchased a three pack of North Stratford Ry boxcars during the moving sale at Credit Valley Hobbies. There is not a lot of details on the car which is in their lower cost line of cars, but a nice model to weather and add a few details to. They are found in Athearn's "ready to roll" category. The cars have steel wheels that I colored acrylic cinnamon brown with Bragdon dark rust dusted on. The trucks, couplers and underbody are painted AK winter streaking grime.  

The roof is weathered up using AK dark rust deposits and Vallejo rust texture. I then gave the roof a light coat of neutral gray. Micron 03 black is added to the sides as streaking rust spots. The doors sides and ends are given a coat of raw umber shade then chrom ox green shade.   

The model was finished I thought till I took a good look at it. I realized by added a couple of details it could look a lot better. I decided to add rubber flexible air hoses from Hi-Tech Details #6038. I then added Tangent TSM-204 cut levers which come in a 5 pack which makes this detail a bit more better if you are cost conscience. I am happy with the added details and I feel the car looks a lot better...George Dutka 

The weathering is about to begin.

The two products applied before the powders are added.

The roof is done.

The roof which is modeled after running boards were removed during rebuilding can be rusted up a bit to add some extra character to the model.

A prototype view from one of Peter Mumby's books.

A New England consist for the era is seen rolling along the WRD. I have this type of train staged and hidden in one back track to run on occasion. 

Some lighter PanPastel green is applied to the side panels to fade them down. A placard scrap is still on the board.


No comments:

Post a Comment