Monday 23 August 2021

GMD Recollections - 1000th Locomotive Roll-out Ceremony

 

CP 3124 was one of several GP38-2 units which took part in a special roll-out ceremony at the GMD plant on June 06, 1986.

By Peter Mumby.

The 1000th locomotive produced at the GMD plant was CP GP38-2 number 3050.  A roll-out ceremony to commemorate this event was held on June 06, 1986.  The 3050 was not actually in attendance that day; I had photographed it on delivery at CP Quebec St yard on December 25, 1985, so the locomotives taking part in the ceremony were several 3100-series units currently awaiting delivery.  I have photos of 3124, 26, 27, and 28 that were taken that day.  I was in attendance at the ceremony because I had been contracted to paint and letter five HO scale GP38-2 locomotives that were handed out to VIP visitors during the speeches.  I don't remember if they were all numbered 3050 (probably), but I do recall that one of them was given to Ontario Premier David Peterson.  They looked quite official on their dark wood bases.  The Athearn blue-box models didn't receive the full detail treatment, but I built two examples for myself at the same time, and they received all the bells and whistles.  CP 3081 and 3127 still have pride of place in my display cabinet today.  
 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Once Peter is back from the lake I will see if I can take some photos of the units...George

      Delete